It was an early morning. I woke up at the crack of dawn to go for a hike through the Condoriri mountains in Bolivia. I signed up last minute, on a whim, feeling like I needed to connect with Mother Nature.
It was a beautiful day, I hiked up to a glacier, took in the scenery and purchased a pair of handmade alpaca socks from an 85 year old Bolivian man who lived somewhere in the mountains.
Life was good.
Our guide then pointed to the peak of the mountain and suggested we hike to the top. My inner ambitious me said “YEP, LET’S GO FOR IT!” without hesitation, totally underestimating what I just agreed to.
The peak of the mountain was HIGH (17,000+ ft above sea level!). I am not even remotely athletic! I’m a city girl .. the type who get’s in her car to drive to the mailbox!
And so, we began to climb. I was out of breath, my feet hurt and I had a massive headache from the altitude. It was cold and windy. I trudged through marsh, mud, Llama poop and rocky terrain.
I questioned why I would agree to something so challenging and thought to myself “This is INSANE! Why put yourself through this? You don’t have to!”.
Have you ever felt that way? Perhaps when it comes to growing your business?
I eventually hit the point of no return. I consciously made a decision to keep on going, despite knowing how difficult it was and how much further I had to go.
My body could hear everything my mind was saying. I knew my body would carry me through, it was my mind that needed convincing.
I kept telling myself “you can do this!” knowing that I WAS doing it, I WAS making it happen.
I wanted to put a powerful statement out into the Universe. To say that I was willing and able to do whatever it takes to succeed.
The entire way I thought to myself, “if I make it to the top, and keep pushing my limits what else am I capable of?
After hiking an entire day, I literally clawed my way to the top, out of breath, exhausted and ready to pass out.
I got to the top and gave myself a “F*CK YEAH!” I felt unstoppable. I hiked over 5,000 ft and I didn’t give up. I pushed through, despite how mentally and physically challenging this hike was for me.
SO, HERE’S WHAT I LEARNED:
- In life and with your business, you will not always know how to make it to the top, to that place you are striving so hard to get to. You don’t have to know. Just trust the process and go with it, eventually you will get there.
- Watch your thoughts. Whether you think you can, or you can’t .. you are right. You can achieve what your mind believes.
- Each step counts. Take the time to acknowledge your progress and how far you have come.
- How badly do you want, what you want? The path is not always straight, nor easy. Do you have the willpower and endurance to achieve your goals - no matter how insane they may seem? Remember to stay connected to your big "WHY".
- Don’t give up. Once you start building momentum, nothing can stop you!
The only impossible journey is the one you never begin. Move through the discomfort and do it anyways! It’s going to hurt, you’re going to yell, you’re going to cry. But I promise you, the view from the top is worth it.
Ps. Looking for support as you climb your business mountain? I’d love to be your guide! I have a limited number of complimentary 30 min business strategy sessions that I am offering. Let’s get clear on your goals and the best way of getting you to the top of your mountain. Grab your free session here.